On the tour, you'll see:
- Custom features maximized for efficiency and water conservation
- In-home heating throughout with individual thermostats in each room
- Craftsman style moldings on doorways and built-ins
- Front porch made from reclaimed beetle-kill pine
- Edible herb gardens in the front yard
- Back yard built for entertainment with pizza oven, tree house, and gardens
About the home
The Carlson home was newly built in 2008 and represents the spirit of Old Town in its comfortable, country-style ethic and Rocky Mountain appeal. With a new kitchen and interior details that range from contemporary to craftsman-era integrity, the home is now a four-bedroom, four-bath structure with flex spaces and unique design elements.
This custom home is built to maximize efficiency and water conservation. Inside, the windows predominantly face south to complement in-floor heating throughout, with individual thermostats in each room. An attic fan disperses the summer heat. There are small sinks for efficiency, and ample built-in storage. The designer incorporated efficiency with classic elements, such as framing built-ins and doorways with craftsman style moldings to augment this beautiful home.
The front porch is made from reclaimed beetle-kill pine. The front yard introduces a bit of Rocky Mountain wilderness into an Old Town urban setting. The exterior landscape and edible herb gardens are the work of the current owners.
The back deck and patio include areas for dining, entertaining and gardening. The backyard features a personalized patio with a handcrafted pizza oven, tree house and distinctive gardens. While the house itself is not historic – built in 2008 – this home is located in a very historic part of Fort Collins, and has cleverly incorporated some traditional elements to complement its environmentally-friendly features.
History of the location
Smith Street is named after the original post surgeon at the early fort, Dr. Timothy M. Smith. Dr. Smith stayed on in the small town when the fort was decommissioned and dismantled in 1867, and was an important contributor to the town’s establishment, not only as a physician, but later as county treasurer in 1872. Building permits suggest a house has been on this site since 1921.