Tea on the Avery Lawn, Saturday, June 18, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Experience a traditional tea on the lush grounds of the historic Avery House in downtown Fort Collins. Sip tea and indulge in sweet and savory bites while enjoying live harp music and time to chat with friends, bid on tea-themed items in a silent auction, and tour the Avery House's current exhibit highlighting 100 years of fashion. Tickets are $25.
Delicious tea and food are being provided by Happy Lucky’s Teahouse of Fort Collins and Mountain Top Confections of Conifer. The menu includes tea; scones along with cream, lemon curd, and strawberry preserves; several varieties of traditional tea sandwiches; and desserts.
The Avery House’s current exhibit, The Margaret Brown Collection, is a remarkable assemblage of a century of fine womenswear from mid-1800s to mid-1900s, and admission is included with tea ticket.
Tickets are $25. You can purchase tickets online now, or buy in-person at the Avery House (Saturdays & Sundays 1-4 p.m.), Downtown Ace Hardware, The Cupboard, and The Perennial Gardener.
The 1883 Fort Collins Water Works holds free monthly open houses on the second Saturday of each month, May through October, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Free admission, donations appreciated. No reservations required.
2016 Tour Dates:
May 14 | Jun 11 | Jul 9 | Aug 13 | Sep 10 | Oct 8
Built in 1882–1883, Fort Collins’ first public works project includes 23 acres, four buildings, and two historic irrigation ditches. Tour guides offer insights into the architecture and construction of the buildings as well as the engineering of the turbines, pumps, and filter system.
A nearly century-old orchard on the site features several early varieties of apple trees. In addition, one of Larimer County’s largest cottonwood trees is located at the Water Works. During tour season, the Water Works makes a great scenic stop for bicyclists enjoying the community’s many bike trails.
PLF’s dream of a Water Works Water Interpretation Center for Northern Colorado is soon to be realized! Detailed plans for the center were recently finalized through a construction document project funded by the Colorado State Historical Fund, Poudre Heritage Alliance, and the City of Fort Collins. Stewart Architecture of Louisville, CO, created the documents that PLF and future contractors will use to complete the work. Read more . . . .
A Century of Fashion on Display at Avery House
A remarkable assemblage of a century of fine womenswear, mid-1800s to mid-1900s, the Margaret Brown Collection is among the largest donations of historic costume to PLF. Come to the Avery House and see a beautiful, wide-ranging display of fashion.
The exhibit runs Saturdays and Sundays, 1:00-4:00, Feb. 6 to July 10. Free admission. Donations appreciated. No reservations needed.
Margaret Brown’s lifelong love of vintage fashion resulted in an extensive collection that she used for charity fashion shows. Brown, who currently lives in Denver, had been on the lookout for a suitable place to donate her collection. After seeing the Rocky Mountain PBS Arts District feature on the Avery House’s 2013 Downton Abbey–inspired costume exhibit, Brown contacted PLF about donating her collection. PLF is delighted and honored to share, through this exhibit, Margaret Brown’s legacy of fashion and friendship.
Give Where You Live
Donations to Poudre Landmarks Foundation keep history alive in Fort Collins. Join us as we build a community that understands, appreciates, and values its past. Online donations to Poudre Landmarks Foundation are processed through ColoradoGives.org year round. Your support is greatly appreciated.
The exquisite Avery House was built in 1879 and was the family home of Franklin and Sara Avery and their three children. The home was built of sandstone from local quarries and includes a carriage house, large yard, gazebo, and fountain. The Avery House is located at 328 W. Mountain Avenue in Old Town Fort Collins and serves as a museum honoring life at the turn of the 19th century. Open each Saturday & Sunday, 1–4 p.m.
The Water Works facility at 2005 N. Overland Trail was constructed in 1882–83 to provide the growing town of Fort Collins with an adequate supply of water for fighting the building fires that plagued the early township. The facility is located at the western edge of Fort Collins on a 23-acre site that also features a portion of the Cherokee and Overland trails that led gold seekers, emigrants, and outlaws through the western frontier.
Poudre Landmarks Foundation's mission is to preserve, restore, protect, and interpret the architectural and cultural heritage of the Fort Collins area. PLF accomplishes this mission through the care and management of Historic Landmark sites owned by the City of Fort Collins, and by providing educational programs and events focused on early life in Fort Collins.