The Sullivan House
210 East Elizabeth St.
Built around 1908, this two-story foursquare home with colonial revival elements reflects a post-Victorian style popular in this East Elizabeth neighborhood. A classical portico at the main entry includes Tuscan columns supporting a formal cornice with a dentil band. The front of the home also features a large twenty-light picture window, complimented by a series of large double hung windows with stepped molding lintels. This wooden clapboard home has a bellcast hipped roof with wide overhanging boxed eaves; the detached garage, a newer addition, is side-gabled with a symmetrically sloped roof. A one-story addition expands the home’s east side. The first known residents of this house were Elsie and Frank Sullivan, a superintendent at the BW Sugar Company. From 1910 to the mid-1940s, many short-term residents included professors and students at Colorado State University. In 1948 the home was purchased by Marie and Harold Hafer, who remained there until 1966. Mr. Hafer served as both Assistant District Attorney and president of the Larimer County Bar Association, and in 1959 was appointed head of the general counsel for the US Department of Agriculture. He was also very active in a number of Fort Collins service organizations.
From 1968 to 1973 the home was owned by Ann and Paul Azari and their five children. Ann Azari is well known as a community leader, and is a former mayor of Fort Collins. For the next seventeen years the home once again saw a number of short term residents. In 1989, the property was purchased by the current owners Pamela and Joseph Piesman. Among the sympathetic changes they have made were stripping the turquoise (!) paint from all the wooden trim, and adding a pergola, and railing on the front porch. They continue to enjoy this traditional American Foursquare home.