The Water Works Superintendent lived in this small frame house with his family. The original structure was built for $1000. J.W. Horn, the first superintendent, was paid $75 per month. He had to be on-site all the time to be sure the pumps were running, the filters were clean, and everything was working properly. In 1887, one of the first telephones in Fort Collins was installed at the Water Works so that city workers in City Hall on Walnut Street could contact the Superintendent. A kitchen was later added to the west end of the house and, more recently, two additional bedrooms were added to the east end, which was the original open front porch. The roof was repaired with new shingles and flashing in 2014.