Steam Pump Room (First Addition)
In 1894, a steam-powered pump was added to the system to supplement the water-powered pumps during low water conditions in the Poudre River that prevented the water-powered pumps from providing the desired pressures.
This room contained a coal fired boiler and steam powered pump along the west wall. Coal was delivered by horse-drawn freight wagons and shoveled into the building through the small, square window on the east wall. Below the window, on the outside of the building, the bricks are scraped and scarred from the wagon wheels. The west interior wall has dark stains from coal soot that escaped from the fire box. A patch of lighter colored wood in the roof is where the tall smokestack that ventilated the system was located.