Two exciting events Sept. 7 and Sept. 8!
Poudre Landmarks Foundation’s
28th Annual Historic Homes Tour
“Evening at the Park: 1912”
Sept.7, 5-8 p.m.
Three homes pictured below, refreshments, tours, exhibits, music, dancing, $40 per person.
Evans Home 1300 West Oak Street The exterior of 1300 West Oak is essentially unchanged from its construction in 1919. Inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright, the home’s Prairie Style features wide eave overhangs, intersecting (cross) gables, and a front porch with massive piers. In the basement, a wine room, a remodeled bathroom whose large size surprisingly is original, and an exercise room are all new since 2008. Upstairs, the back bathroom features a sink and a unique pedestal tub.
Cahill House 300 Jackson Avenue This unique home was built in 1932, when Italian Renaissance Style was in vogue. Wide eave overhangs distinguish it from Mission or Spanish eclectic styles. The current owner remodeled the front entryway and created a sunroom where a porch had existed. Otherwise, both the interior and exterior of the home are close to the original. Baseboards, fireplace, and parquet floors remain as does the curved cove molding joining the walls and ceiling.
Gillett House 408 Jackson Street This home is of special interest for two reasons. First, built about 1950, the house exemplifies the basic attributes of Ranch Style: single-story, elongated, and possessing a low pitched roof. Then notice how it also includes elements of Prairie Style, such as widely overhanging eaves and odd angles in the interior, all denoting the influence of Frank Lloyd Wright. This
mix of styles is likely the inspiration of Asa “Ace” Gillett, original owner and an admirer of Wright.
“All around City Park” Historic Homes Tour
Sept. 8, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tour six homes pictured below, Airstream tours, two historic sites $20 advance/ $25 on Tour day. Tour vintage Airstream exhibit Sept. 8: Tour ticketholders $5, all others $10.
Taylor-Peck House 222 Jackson Avenue This 1924 Craftsman Style home was remodeled extensively around 1948. It reversed the front window and entry elements, but the present owner restored them to their earlier arrangement with the door now facing west instead of north. Recent work also added a master bathroom with block windows and pocket door between the master bedroom and bath. Period lighting and stained-glass windows add to the ambience of the living room.
Rouse House 1603 West Mulberry Street This 1950s home retains its mid-century modern look despite the passage of several decades. Built on a concrete slab, the home’s single level U-shape, low- pitched roof, and attached two-car garage –– that testifies to the importance of transportation by private automobile –– are all indicators of the Ranch Style. Inside, the central portion of the U-shape incorporates a massive fireplace as well as plate glass windows.
Lloyd House 1611 West Mulberry Street Built in 1955, this home exemplifies the single-story, Ranch Style so popular in post-World War II America. The present owner added a second floor to create play space for a growing family. Much of the interior on the first floor has been remodeled, but the fireplace is original and features fine craftwork on its stone. Wainscot paneling is from the original home. Outside, the fan shaped patio dates from the original house.
Kenny House 1506 West Oak Street A 1930s photograph of this home shows a residence with hipped roof, exposed roof beams, wide eaves, and a large central dormer –– all characteristics of the Craftsman Style, so popular in the early decades of the twentieth century. Built in 1912, an extensive remodeling took place in the 1990s followed by the recent addition of a second floor master bedroom with deck over the large, new kitchen.
Shipley House 1500 West Oak Street Built in 1908 as a single-story residence, the front part of the existing house features original rooms, including windows with transoms to allow for air circulation. A beam on the north side of the kitchen shows where the original house ends, and a back bedroom support beam was put in place when previous owners created the second floor. In all, this home, now more than a century old, is an excellent example of combining old and new.
Avery-Woodworth House 1418 West Oak Street This 12-room, double-brick Mission Style dwelling was built in 1924 by Sara Avery, of Avery House fame, with her daughter and son-in-law. The home features a massive fireplace, bay window on the west, and decorative arcades on the street elevation. Inside, the front portion of the first floor includes many original elements, including the entryway, hardwood floors, and windows.
Tickets can now only be purchased on location at any of the houses that are listed above. Thank you for your support.
(970) 221-0533, firstname.lastname@example.org
328 W Mountain Ave
Fort Collins, CO 80521
The1879 Avery House was enjoyed by the Avery Family for more than 83 years. The City of Fort Collins purchased it in 1974 when work began to restore it to its early elegance. The Poudre Landmarks Foundation maintains the home for visits throughout the year.
2005 N Overland Trail
Fort Collins, CO 80521
1882 saw the town fathers needing to build a water pumping station in response to local fires. Built of local brick and stone it was completed in 1883. The Poudre Landmarks Foundation is restoring the building and tours are available several times a year.